A. W. Tozer: Oh that You would bless me


No man is worthy to succeed until he is willing to fail. No man is morally worthy of success in religious activities until he is willing that the honor of succeeding should go to another if God so wills.

Born After Midnight, 58.


Failure and Success: No Little Failures

And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, "Oh that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" 

So God granted him what he requested. --1 Chronicles 4:10

When Simpson succeeded it was in a big way. When he failed he made great failures. It had to be so. Men of his caliber do not make little mistakes. They fly too high and too far to steer their courses by city maps. They ask not, "What street is that?" but "What continent?" 


And when they get off of the course for a moment they will be sure to pull up a long way from their goal. 

Their range and speed make this inevitable. Little men who never get outside of their own yards point to these mistakes with great satisfaction. 

But history has a way of disposing of these critics by filing them away in quiet anonymity. She cannot be bothered to preserve their names. She is too busy chalking up the great successes and huge failures of her favorites. Wingspread; A. B. Simpson: A Study in Spiritual Altitude, 108-109.

"Lord, give me the boldness to attempt big things for You-so that whether I succeed or fail it will be in a big way! Amen."